Transition Support

Below you will find lots of information to help support your young person’s Transition.  If you have any queries, please contact Ruth McGuigan, BB’s Transition Lead on 01803 864120 or email


Thinking about your child growing up and being independent can be a scary time.  What will happen to care packages? What happens after education finishes? What is out there?

The Preparing for Adulthood team at Devon County Council is an adult social care team here to help make the transition period as smooth as possible and to answer any questions you might have.  In order to have time for conversations and to increase understanding of adult social care we need parents to take the first steps by referring their child to us in preparation for their year 10 EHCP review.  You can do this by completing the online form here:

Also by clicking on this link you can find lots more information about the preparing for adulthood process and things you need to be aware of within adult social care.

We would like to attend all year 10 EHCP reviews to meet families and to begin the conversation about transition.  If we are unable to attend the review we will make contact with you by telephone.   At this point we are gathering information about your child to refer them to the relevant adult community health and social care team for transition in the future.  We will then contact you at intervals during the next couple of years and continue to attend the EHCP reviews to keep updated about your child.  We may work with you around setting achievable independence goals that are relevant to your child.

When your child reaches 17 they can be referred to the Reaching for Independence team if this is suitable for them.  This team work on targeted independence skills that are appropriate for your child, for example travel training, shopping, routines.  This is an optional service and will be discussed with you at the time.

We are here to help and your allocated Preparing for Adulthood worker will be the point of contact for any questions you may have about transition between year 10 until your child has an adult social worker involved.  The Disabled Children’s Service will continue to provide packages of support until your child reaches 18 and they should be your first point of contact for any changes to the package of support prior to 18.

You can contact us by telephone Preparing for Adulthood 01392 381291 or by email


An Introduction to Apprenticeships: Bidwell Brook School