Bursary Application

The Government has set aside some money for schools, colleges, training providers and local authorities to allocate to young people who need financial support to stay on in further education or training. This is called the 16-19 Bursary Fund. It could help you with any education-related costs that may arise during the school year, including essentials like a meal during the day or transport to your school, college or training provider. Or you might need extra help to buy additional books, clothing or equipment for your course, or to pay for educational visits.

To apply for a bursary, you must be aged between 16 and 19 and in full-time or part-time further education or training.

There are two types of bursaries:

Vulnerable bursary: You could receive up to £1,200 if you are:

  • in care, including an unaccompanied asylum-seeking child;
  • a young care leaver;
  • getting Income Support or the equivalent Universal Credit (UC) in your own right;
  • getting both Disability Living Allowance (or the new Personal Independence Payments) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA) (or Universal Credit as a replacement for ESA) in your own right.

Discretionary bursary: You can apply for a discretionary bursary if you aren't eligible for a vulnerable bursary but you need financial help to stay on in a school, college or training provider. Your school, college or training provider will decide who receives a discretionary bursary, how much they get, and what it can be used for. The School’s policy on how the fund is administered and the application form for you to apply with are included here:

[fa class="fa fa-file-pdf-o fa-lg"] 16-19 Bursary Fund Administration Policy - can be found on our School Policies page.